Wednesday, June 08, 2016

All ears to 80 years!!!


My grandfather would have been 6 years old when ‘Indian State Broadcasting’ was renamed as ‘All India Radio’ on this day 8th June, 1936, which was renamed as ‘Aakashvani’ in 1956, the year my father was born.

On this day today, AIR completes 80 years of its existence. 80 years on, with 418 stations, AIR is the world’s largest multi-lingual public network.

People born in the 80s’ like me; I think are the last urban born & bred generation who have experienced the Mr. India effect (Hero sirf sunai deta hai, dikhai nahi):)

How many of us remember this signature tune of AIR, which was composed by Walter Kaufmann, then music director of AIR in 1936? There is a nostalgia that I can faintly associate with this; Sunrise, doorbell, milkman, hot cups of tea.

I still remember the imagery where group of people used to surround the man who had a portable radio to listen the cricket commentary by Suresh Saraiya, Sanjay Banerjee Vineet Garg Prem Kumar & Prakash Wakankar

I still remember about the neighbors who used to tune their Murphy’s to listen Surjit Sen or Lotika Ratnam for their news broadcast

I still remember when the family members used to write letters to AIR expressing their views, requesting favorite songs, writing poems, couplets, etc.

I still remember the sound of, “Namaskar, Bhaiyo aur Bheno, Binaca Geetmala mein aapka swagat hai.” The legendary Ameen Sayani.

It’s between the Binaca Geetmala & Mann Ki Baat that the current generation of 80’s has grown up.
Over the years we have shifted from AIR to private radio stations to I Pods, however even now the smile that comes to my face when I hear an unexpected old song over the radio is priceless & it shall be till I turn 80


All I would want to say is Thank You AIR. #80YearsOfAIR

Thank you for the amazing music content.

Thank you for great hosts & presenters.

Thank you for reaching every nook & corner of India.

Thank you for still being consistent with the presentation & format.

Thank you for Amitabh Bachchan :)

No comments: