Saturday, September 21, 2013

Who's pocket is it anyways!!!

We all at a point of time have read through Kotler the classification / categories of consumers based on their response to a particular offering in the market:
Innovators
Early Adopters
Early Majority
Late Majority
Laggards

Nah! m not starting a class or giving a revision session on them.
I am pondering over a thought who so ever they are, whenever or whichever category they fall; what is the status or stage or mood they are in when they PAY for the product / service across the counter.

Does the person who is paying the money actually matters??? Well my MBA taught me the best answer, 'DEPENDS' :)

Anyways, lets understand the stage & moods they fall in when they across the counter.
Like Edward De Bono had 6 Thinking Hats, I would create '4 Paying Hoods' & '5 Paying Moods'!!!

He / She is a:

Consumer: I use the product & i pay for it.

Customer: I may or may not use the product & I pay for it.

Decision Maker: I may or may not use the product; but i decide which one should be brought & I pay for it

Decision Influencer: My opinion can change the items in the shopping cart; i have certain beliefs, assumptions, preferences, likes, dislikes & I pay for it

He / She is:

Provider: I dont use this, but someone close to me requires it; hence i pay

Follower: Everyone is using, even i or my someone should try it once, i have heard / seen / read a lot on this; hence i pay

Unclear / Option giver: i donno which is the best one for me / others, this looks good, that is cheap, that one the person before us just took; the ingredients here are better, but this one should appeal to a particular taste; i mite buy many or mite buy the one which i feel cud b good, i evalute; give options; i mite be right or wrong; i can give logic to the purchase; hence i pay

Passive: I am indifferent to the product, i am suppose to follow the list, i m ok to be a medium & seen along with the product / service; hence i pay

Forced: I seriously dont think this product / service is necessary, as per me this is waste; better options are available; still i pay.

Now picture this situation, u are in a market place to sell your product; whom are you targeting? who is priority among all of these, do we think about the one who is paying over the counter & cushioning you bottom line???

No comments: